Currently I am reading an autobiography of Mahatma Gandhi (don't ask me why) on and off whenever I get some time between writing thesis and other time wasting strategies. As we all know it stresses on the power of truth and it made me think a little. Is it possible to always tell the truth in order to survive in the real world where all odds are against doing the same? Here is an example, the other day my lab had gone for this 'special' seminar, which quite frankly, sucked big time! As an audience working in the same field, I really didn't buy some of the data that person had or may be didn't understand it very well. so I told my colleague I didn't really think it was great and I got these 'what do u know about science' looks, Im sure if I had said "it was incredible!" then it would have been a little more smarter to 'fit in' the genius scientist league. Having said that if we all have to tell the truth for all questions like, how are you? hows work? hows life?, I doubt if anyone will answer "I am feeling quite pathetic right now, I could shoot someone to feel better actually" or "work sucks, im bored to tears, its something I do to earn money for survival, its as good as cleaning floors in McDonalds" or "Life is quite boring right now, noone really cares about me, haven't really gotten laid in years, Im so desparate I can **** Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton for the fun of it" So telling the truth is not really an option always u see. Some lies are to do with the feel good factor. Like your mom or good friends will always tell u nice flattering lies when you are down in the dumps. Well, just saying you are doing OK takes a lot of heat out of the conversation and a quick-fix way to close an unnecessary conversation. thats all for now....will write more if and when I finish the book.
(disclaimer: answers to the above questions do not apply to me personally, as some of u have already asked :)
p.s. to myself: actually that disclaimer wasn't required, if I care abt the reaction to this blog, it will be a futile attempt to transform it into a people pleasing writing which nullifies the sole purpose of it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Post a Comment