Thursday, February 26, 2009

Desi

So, I have been wanting to write this one for a while now...it gradually dawned on me that I am surrounded by desis who hate other desis and hate being called a desi...Oh what an irony! My roommate makes fun of some typical oak-tree road desis (an area in New Jersey densely populated by typical Indian families) they saw in the grocery store (where, btw we all shop regularly), my dear friend from undergrad who is also my partner in crime, she makes fun of every desi guy that is out there, even some other airheads I know really talk very mean things about desis...Why do we all love to disown things/people who have nothing to do with our life at all. If some guy is acting weird, and he happens to be an Indian, how does that make us question our entire existence...I dunno may be its just the insecurity and fear of being associated with someone so "un-cool". I think its very hypocritical, and makes me laugh how these not-so-different, quite ordinary people (sometimes including me) get so annoyed by some random people who are quite possibly living their lives very happily doing some 'desi-giri'.

2 comments:

Rahul said...

I absolutely detest any club that will ever have someone like me for a member :P

Gypsy said...

yeah, hating yourself is the 'in-thing' this season :)