Monday, August 31, 2009

These days I get very irritated with the overuse of chat/internet language in English writing. I do it as well, often due to carelessness. It has become a habit to type in shortforms like u, shd, cd, wat, dunno etc. and during some over-sensitive moments when I just a need a small reason to get annoyed, these badly distorted spellings really prick my eyes. Why are we in so much hurry to type that we spoil the language most of the time? Although, this is mostly true for casual conversations, it would feel good to read a nicely written correct sentence, which is a rare treat usually found in scientific journals.
Another forgotten thing from the past is writing, with an actual pen and paper. I like writing with hand and thankfully everyone in my lab takes notes from the ongoing experiments and writes down everything in the lab notebook. There obviously we don't write essays, it mostly consists of protocols, how much amount of which reagent we used and stuff like that. Apart from that, I hardly write anything at home, except for the occasional grocery list.
Couple of weeks back, TIME had published pictures of beautiful hand-written letters in cursive. Though cursive was regarded as the style used only for handwiting and books were (are) usually published in manuscript, cursive went out of use long time back in order to maintain uniformity in reading and writing. Now, I would also mention that its more fun to read anything books, journal papers, newspapers, magazines on a paper rather than reading them online. But sadly, I can't mail you the copy of TIME lying on my coffee table.

2 comments:

Nikhil said...

Did you mean you can't mail this article: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1912419,00.html :).

Gypsy said...

Oh, yes. I still recommend reading the paper copy.