Sunday, November 20, 2005

Streets of Philadelphia

Ahh....Awesome day! started at 5:15 am that too on a Sunday!!! got together with mishti, arjun and varad, started for Philadelphia. This was surprisingly my first proper visit to philly, considering the fact that I stay so nearby and supposedly im an avid traveler. Everyone so far has described philly as 'boring', they all are so damn wrong! One should obviously not compare New York with Philly, they are as different as an apple and an orange..I've not even seen the city properly and I am already in love with it! I just loved its historical feel...reminds me of the lines from Bruce Sprinstein's "Streets of Philadelphia"
In addition to this, it was indeed an inspiring experience to run those last 3 miles of actually 26.2 miles long Asha marathon. 'Asha' is a very active organisation and it is doing very well in fundraising for education of underprivilaged children in India. Being a volunteer since last one year, I regret missing all those Asha meetings now, never bothered to attend those actually!
It was a beautiful sunny day, Fairmont Park, where last few miles of the marathon were held was a beautiful place, nothing to complain on a Mid-Nov morning. Thousands of people of all ages and races running in groups or even alone...even old people of the age 75+! Kudos to their enthusiasm! It went from like 8am till 2:30pm, pretty long, huh!
At the end of the race, people who finished were so happy, some were crying out of the mixed feelings of accomplishment and stretching their physical stamina way beyond their limits! but all in all it must be a very satisfying experience, 26.2 miles is not a joke after all! For that one moment filled with happiness, pride, accomplishment and responsibility, I am going to run next year's marathon!

2 comments:

Sailesh Ganesh said...

Thats great, I wish I had the stamina to run 3 miles. The 26.2 miles, I cant even imagine!

Brian R Dunn said...

Sounds like you had a neat experience all around! I get a kick out of other's experiences of the race, so thanks for sharing yours. I do hope you get a chance to run it next year! You won't regret it, I promise!!!